WELCOME 2020-2021 New Families!
The Riverside PTA is excited to welcome you and your children to the school. We hope this section will help you get ready for the slightly unconventional school year ahead!
DROP-OFF AND DISMISSAL
- Doors open at 8:30am and close at 8:45am. More information on drop-off and dismissal.
- Items requested by grade for 2020-2021 back to school supplies
- Additional items required for all students and some grade specific due to Covid-19
- DON'T FORGET YOUR MASKS!
HOW TO STAY INFORMED
There are many ways to stay up to speed on what's going on at Riverside School. It's important to know that the school and the PTA may use different systems.
- Update your contact information with the main school office. This ensures you get emails from Mr. Weiss and other district emails.
- Riverside School Website. Maintained by the school, The Riverside School website holds lots of great information. Please take a look around and become familiar with the information.
- Create a parent profile on RIVPTA.ORG.The Riverside PTA uses this website for various things. Not only does it house information, but it also serves as the directory, as a site for ticket sales, and much more. As the 2020-2021 school year begins, you will receive information about creating a profile on the website. Being a part of this directory makes it easier to communicate with other parents at the school. You can download the "Membership Toolkit" App. See below app section for more information.
- PEEK at the Week Newsletters! The Riverside PTA sends out a weekly email on Friday to the entire school community. This weekly blast is full of everything you want to know about what's going on around the school. You can also view old PEEK Newsletters at any time at RIVPTA.ORG or in the “Membership Toolkit” App.
- Constant Contact Emails. The Riverside PTA also sends emails about important events to help communicate with the parent population.
- Notifications & Messages You will receive reminders and notifications about events and programs via email and in MyMessages on your app or under MyAccount
- School Dismissal Manager. You can access it from your computer or using an app (see section about apps below) and it is another way to communicate to the teacher who will be getting your child from school. This is extremely important in the event of an emergency early release.
- District Calendar. It's always a good idea to visit the District Calendars to enter important dates into your schedule. It's nice to keep track of half days and days of no school so they don't sneak up on you.
- Riverside PTA Calendar. Throughout the year, the PTA sponsors events at the school. It's a good idea to look at some of the events coming up on the top left of this website. In the fall, you won't want to miss Picture Day, Boo Bash, and Book Fair, to name a few.
- Class Parents. Each class will have two class parents assigned to help the teacher communicate important information. If you ever have any questions, please email your class parent!
THERE'S AN APP FOR IT!
As the PTA and school become more green and more tech savvy, we recommend taking a look at some of the apps you can use to help with communication between school and home. Find a list of helpful apps HERE.
RULES OF THE ROAD
Please review the rules of the road guide (updated due to increased safety protocols with Covid-19) so we can all keep Riverside School safe for everyone at pick-up and drop-off.
We are also always looking for people to help with morning Safety Duty. Every day from 8:30am - 8:45am, parent volunteers are needed to help our students get safely out of cars in the drop-off lane in front of the school. More information will come as school starts in the fall.
RIVERSIDE ROPES NOTES
In 2014, Greenwich Public Schools adopted district behavioral norms for all its schools. Staff members model and reinforce these qualities of good character and work with parents and community members to develop them in students. These district norms are to: Be Here, Be Safe, Be Honest, Care for Self and Others, and Let Go & Move On.
At Riverside School, if the students are spotted doing something that represents the district norms, they are issued a ROPES note to help encourage kids to be good community members. Along with the special note, they have their picture taken and it hangs in the hallway just outside the cafeteria and gym. It's always fun to visit the wall if you're in the school.
Want to know what R.O.P.E.S. stands for?
Respect Oneself, Property, Each other and School
RIVERSIDE SPIRIT DAYS - RIVERSIDE RED T-SHIRTS
Many days throughout the year, the students will be asked to wear their Riverside Red Shirt to celebrate their school spirit. These are special shirts available for purchase through Riverside PTA Spirit Wear. They will have a table set up at a variety of events so you can be sure to pick up a shirt. The students are often asked to wear their Red Shirts for field trips and other school spirit days.
We hope this information is helpful as your child (and YOU) begins his or her journey at Riverside School. Please reach out if you have any questions.
KINDERGARTEN & NEW FAMILY SNEAK PEEK
In the week or two before school starts, you will receive information about your child's placement. There is lot of information available on the district website.
New family and Kindergarten orientation is held the day before the first day of school for all children and parents new to the school.
That is usually a great time to see your child's classroom, view other areas of the school, learn important information, meet other parents, and shop Riverside spirit wear. It's also a great time to ask questions, have a cookie, and play at the playground, too.
2020 - 2021: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic things were a little different this year. Kindergarten Orientation took place in small groups, whilst the New Families Reception was a virtual event.
If you have any questions or queries, please don't hesitate to reach out to a PTA Committee member.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Riverside School has a tradition called the "Parade of Learners." On the first day of school, the teachers congregate outside on the front lawn holding a sign to greet their students. Parents deliver their children to their teachers on the front lawn instead of going to the classroom. After a welcome message and the Pledge of Allegiance, all students and teachers parade together into the school.
After the children have made their way into the school, the Riverside PTA invites all parents to its Back to School Volunteer Fair. Here you can meet with other parents, learn about the various ways the PTA works together with the teachers and staff at Riverside School and discover ways that you can get involved. The goal of the Riverside PTA is to enrich the school experience of every student at Riverside while supporting our teachers and fostering a special community for our families. We hope you will consider joining the PTA and taking a moment to read about what we do for the Riverside community.
Sadly due to Covid-19 related restrictions it is not possible to hold either of these events to mark the start of our 2020-2021 school year.
- Monday, May 10
- Tuesday, May 11
- Wednesday, May 12
- Thursday, May 13
MyPage: Parent Dashboard
Create or update your login today and access MyPage, your personal dashboard to buy tickets, volunteer and much more!