WELCOME 2019-2020 Kindergarten & New Families!
The Riverside PTA is excited to welcome you and your children to the school. Please check back for more information as the year approaches. We hope this section will help you get ready for the new year!
SUMMER BOOK READ
Find out about the school's suggested summer book read HERE.
2019-2020 BACK TO SCHOOL SUPPLIES
Here is the list of items requested by grade for 2019-2020 back to school supplies.
The PTA sponsors a school supply fundraiser to make shopping a little easier for you! Order through May 31st and your child's supplies will be delivered directly to their classroom.
Visit www.shopttkits.com and enter code 83285.
KINDERGARTEN & NEW FAMILY SNEAK PEEK
In the week or two before school starts, you will receive information about your child's placement. There is lots of information available on the district website.
New family and Kindergarten orientation will be held the day before the first day of school for all children and parents new to the school. That is a great time to see your child's classroom, view other areas of the school, learn important information, meet other parents and shop Riverside spirit wear. It's a great time to ask questions, have a cookie and play at the playground, too.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Riverside School has a tradition called the "Parade of Learners." On the first day of school, all the teachers will be outside on the front lawn holding a sign to greet the students. Parents deliver their children to their teacher on the front lawn instead of going to the classroom. After a welcome message and the pledge of allegiance, all students and teachers parade together into the school. Don't forget your camera!
After the children have made their way into the school, the Riverside PTA invites all parents into the school for the Back to School Volunteer Fair. Here you can meet with other parents and learn about the various ways the PTA works together with the teachers and staff at Riverside School. The goal of the Riverside PTA is to enrich the school experience of every student at Riverside while supporting our teachers and fostering a special community for our families. We hope you will consider joining the PTA and taking a moment to read about what we do for the Riverside community.
HOW TO STAY INFORMED
There are many ways to stay up to speed on what's going on at Riverside School. It's important to know that the school and the PTA may use different systems.
- Update your contact information with the main school office. This makes sure you get emails from Mr. Weiss and other district emails.
- Riverside School Website. Maintained by the school, The Riverside School website holds lots of great information. Please take a look around and become familiar with the information.
- Update your information on WWW. RIVPTA.ORG. The Riverside PTA uses this website for various things. Not only does it house information, it also serves as the directory, as a site for ticket sales and much more. As the 2018-2019 school year begins, you will receive information about creating a profile on the website. Being a part of this directory makes it easier to communicate with other parents at the school. You can download the "Membership Toolkit" App. See below app section for more information.
- PEEK of the Week Newsletters! The Riverside PTA sends out a weekly email on Friday to the entire school community. This weekly blast is full of everything you want to know about what's going on around the school. You can also view old PEEK Newsletters at any time.
- Constant Contact Emails. The Riverside PTA also sends emails about important events to help communicate with the parent population.
- School Dismissal Manager. In 2017-2018 the school began using a new system to help aid school dismissal. You can access it from your computer or using an app (see section about apps below) and it is another way to communicate to the teacher who will be getting your child from school. This is extremely important in the event of an emergency early release.
- District Calendar. It's always a good idea to visit the District Calendars to enter important dates into your schedule. It's nice to keep track of half days and days of no school so they don't sneak up on you.
- Riverside PTA Calendar. Throughout the year, the PTA sponsors events at the school. It's a good idea to look at some of the events coming up on top left of this website. In the fall, you won't want to miss Picture Day, Boo Bash, and Book Fair, to name a few.
- Class Parents. Each class will have two class parents assigned to help the teacher communicate important information. If you ever have any question, please email your class parent!
THERE'S AN APP FOR IT!
As the PTA and school become more green and more tech savvy, we recommend taking a look at some of the apps you can use to help with communication between school and home. Find a list of helpful apps HERE.
RULES OF THE ROAD & SAFETY VOLUNTEERS
We have lots of people going lots of directions at the school. Please review the rules of the road guide so we can all keep Riverside School safe for everyone at pick-up and drop-off and more. Click HERE to read.
We are also always looking for people to help with morning Safety Duty. Every day from 8:30am - 8:45am, parent volunteers are needed to help our students get safely out of cars in the drop-off lane in front of the school. More information will come as school starts in the fall.
RIVERSIDE ROPES NOTES
In 2014, Greenwich Public Schools adopted district behavioral norms for all its schools.
Staff members model and reinforce these qualities of good character and work with parents and community members to develop them in students. These district norms are to: Be Here, Be Safe, Be Honest, Care for Self and Others, and Let Go & Move On.
At Riverside School, if the students are spotted doing something that represents the district norms, they are issued a ROPES note to help encourage kids to be good community members. Along with the special note, they have their picture taken and it hangs in the hallway just outside the cafeteria and gym. It's always fun to visit the wall if you're in the school.
Want to know what R.O.P.E.S. stands for?
Respect Oneself, Property, Each other and School
RIVERSIDE RED SHIRTS
Many days throughout the year, the students will be asked to wear their Riverside Red Shirt. These are special shirts available for purchase through Riverside PTA Spirit Wear. They will have a table set up at a variety of events so you can be sure to pick up a shirt. The students are often asked to wear their Red Shirts for field trips and other school spirit days.
We hope this information is helpful as your child (and YOU) begins his or her journey at Riverside School. Please reach out in you have any questions.
Donate to the PTA
Thank you for supporting the Riverside PTA. If you wish to give a donation to our PTA please Click to Donate.